What can be better than vegan gluten-free dark chocolate muffins in the morning….or afternoon? or as a snack?
These muffins are not too sweet – but full of chocolate. I used Hershey’s dark cocoa and even added chocolate chunks to the top before baking! Lots of dark chocolate goodness.
Vegan Gluten-free Dark Chocolate Muffins
- 1 ½ cups King Arthur’s Measure-for Measure Gluten free flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dark cacao (I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cacao)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons melted plant-based butter, melted
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners then set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. This step is very important. YES, you need to sift.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl (I like to use my 4-cup Pyrex for this.) Then add water and milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: water, milk, melted butter, sugar, maple syrup and extract. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared muffin pan—fill ¾ of the way for about 12 smaller muffins; fill all the way for 9-10 larger muffins with big, high tops. If you like, sprinkle with chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, nuts……
- Bake for 16-20 minutes. Mine took 19 minutes. Place muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Then remove muffins from muffin pan and continue cooling on rack until completely cool, 1-3 hours.
Storing these overnight on the counter is fine, but after that, store them in the refrigerator for a few days.