These orange gluten-free muffins provide a taste of sunshine on even the gloomiest days….and… they are egg-free, gluten-free, and dairy free!
Eat them plain or drizzle a syrup on them as soon as you remove these beauties from the oven…. perfect for breakfast, snack time, or even a light dessert.
Sunshine Muffins Recipe
For the muffins:
- ¼ cup plant-based butter, melted
- ¼ cup orange juice (freshly squeezed or from a carton)
- ⅔ cup) unsweetened plant-based milk (I used Cashew)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest * (use unwaxed oranges – or sub 2 teaspoons orange extract)
- 8 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour, measure-for measure
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- orange peel (optional)
For the Syrup (optional):
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (freshly squeezed or from a carton)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the muffins:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place plant butter in a large bowl and melt in the microwave .
Once melted, add the orange juice to the same bowl along with the milk, orange zest, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Mix well, adding a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry.
Transfer the mixture between into a lined muffin tin.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until risen and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For the syrup:
While the muffins are baking, mix together the orange juice and maple syrup.
Drizzle it over the muffins as soon as they’re out of the oven – it will soak into the muffins better when they’re hot. Sprinkle with orange peel.
These muffins taste best eaten on the day they’re made, but will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.