These chewy gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free soft-baked breakfast bars make a great quick breakfast on those busy mornings.
Soft-baked Breakfast Bars
- 1 cup gluten-free old fashioned oats (Make sure to choose gluten-free oats)
- 1/3 cup oat flour (finely ground oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (actually, any nut or seed butter works)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or melted cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (substitutes for eggs in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips OR omit the chocolate and add in your favorite dried fruit such as cherries or cranberries)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (OPTIONAL)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang (These will be nearly impossible to get out otherwise).
To make oat flour, place old fashioned oats in a blender and pulse until they resemble flour. Measure after blending to make sure you have the right amount.
Combine all ingredients and stir. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake for 25 minutes or until set at the edges (it will look slightly wet in the center, but as long as it doesn’t jiggle it’s done. The bars will firm up as they cool; be careful to not over bake).
Store these bars in an airtight bag or container at room temperature. These bars are best enjoyed within 2-3 days of making.
OR wrap individual bars tightly in plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer-safe container. Thaw bars at room temperature.