This recipe can cook all night, waking the household to aroma of apple butter. I sometimes make this during the day which is why we were able to snack on it throughout the day, reducing the final amount of apple butter produced.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- 6 pounds of apples (try a combination of Gala, Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 TBL ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fill the largest bowl in your kitchen with water, then add about a teaspoon of salt. Wash, peel, core, and finely slice the apples, adding them to the salted water and swishing them around with your hand until all apples have been added to the water. The salted water will keep your apples from turning dark until you are ready to begin cooking.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Thoroughly drain the apple slices and add them to the slow cooker.
- Pour the sugar and spice mixture over the apple slices, tossing thoroughly to coat all slices.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low for approximately 10 hours, stirring periodically to avoid sticking.
- Let cook until the mixture has thickened and turned brown.
- Uncover and let the mixture continue cooking on low for approximately two hours.
- At this point I used a whisk to make a more even consistency. Using an immersion blender would work as well.
You can freeze your apple butter into 1/2 cup containers or preserve in jars.
To preserve in jars, carefully ladle the apple butter into your jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Using a flexible spatula, gently press between the apple butter and the jar to release any air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean with white vinegar and seal. Then follow the instructions on your pressure cooker for canning and preserving……assuming you don’t eat it all in one sitting. . .
.After all, a spoon is a great serving utensil. My husband and I had to force ourselves away from the apple butter – that’s why I stuffed it in the freezer so quickly.