Want to spice up entrees and salads, but without using croutons? Give this seed and spice blend a try.
We sprinkle it on our salads, on bean & rice, on chili… any time I want a crunch…and a little extra protein from the seeds. Of course, additional B12 from the nutritional yeast is never a bad idea.
Experiment with this….try other seeds, other spices…and try it on lots of different foods!
If you like a little more heat, increase the amount of chili powder.
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Heat a frying pan to medium-high heat, then add the sunflower and sesame seeds.
- Toss gently until the seeds begin to pop. They will smell heavenly and should turn golden in color.
- Once the seeds are toasted, aromatic, and golden, turn off the heat. While the pan is still hot, add the spices and nutritional yeast and toss thoroughly to combine.
- Once the mixture has cooled, store in a sealed container.