I often experiment with dairy free chocolate desserts, looking for something quick, easy, and tasty. I have played with a variety of nut butter cups (recipe coming soon), but they can be somewhat time-consuming to build. So I’ve been playing with making my own bark. This is recipe only uses 3 ingredients: dairy free chocolate chips, cinnamon, and chili powder.
Why dairy free chocolate chips?
I use Enjoy Life semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (available in the gluten-free aisle) in my cooking. Along with being gluten-free, they are dairy free, nut free, soy free, and non-GMO. The ingredients are simple: cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate, and cocoa butter.
My previous go-to chocolate chips ingredient list contained semi-sweet chocolate made from sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, and natural flavors.
To me, the shorter the ingredient list, the bigger the win.
Let’s make bark!
- 1 1o-oz package of Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 HEAPING (VERY) tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ HEAPING tablespoon chili powder
- Line a 9-by-12 1/2-inch rimmed baking sheet with with parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over the ends of the pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Once chocolate has melted, remove the pan from heat. Stir in the cinnamon and chili powder thoroughly.
- Pour onto baking sheet, and spread in an even layer. It’s all right if it does not reach the ends of the pan, but try to keep the layer as even as possible.
- Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Peel off parchment, and break bark into pieces.
Store in an airtight container.
Tweaking the recipe
- Try adding cherries and nuts.
- Sprinkle crushed candy cane/peppermint before refrigeration.
- Try cinnamon, orange peel, and dried cranberries.
- Make a mini-s’mores with mini marshmallows and crumbled graham crackers.
Other posts that might interest you: