Dreaming of a cruise? These gluten-free vegan margarita cupcakes will have you dreaming of a tropical island with breezes…and margaritas….Or…perhaps use these to celebrate Cinqo de Mayo!
These use tequila and a high quality organic margarita mix, so get ready for a not-too sweet blast of favor.
Gluten-free Vegan Margarita Cupcakes
Margarita Cupcakes Ingredients
- Flax eggs (2 Tablespoons flax meal in 6 tablespoons water)
- ½ cup plant-based milk of your choice, at room temperature
- ¼ cup Tres Agaves Organic Margarita mix
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup plant-based butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 lime zested
- 2 tablespoons tequila (optional – to be used after baking)
- Finely grated lime zest
- 12 thinly sliced lime slices
- Make flax egg and set aside for 5-10 minutes. (In a small bowl, add flax meal to water, stir, and set aside for 5-10 minutes).
- I use a stand mixer here: Using the paddle attachment, cream together the ½ cup butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add the with the ¾ cup sugar, and let mix while you work on other tasks.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with cupcake liners.
Combine the plant-based milk with ¼ cup margarita mix and vanilla. Let sit for 5 minutes. It may look curdled, that’s ok.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Back to the stand mixer: Add the flax eggs, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the lime zest.
- Turn the mixer to low, then add half the flour, the milk mixture, then the rest of the flour, Mix just until combined. With a spatula, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and make sure the batter is well combined. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. (If you watch the video above you will see how fluffy my batter truly gets!)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with tequila if desired. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- While the cupcakes bake and cool, make the frosting.
- Using that stand mixer, preferably with a whisk attachment: Thoroughly beat the plant-based butter until very fluffy.
- When it is fluffy, thoroughly beat in 2 tablespoons tequila, margarita mix or lime juice, and lime zest.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar and continue to beat, starting at low speed then raising to medium-high until smooth and the consistency of buttercream. If too soft, add more powdered sugar, at little at a time.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and garnish with lime zest and a lime slice.