COFFEE cupcakes are vegan gluten-free delights to feed your coffee craving any time of the day. They SHOUT COFFEE…but in a good way.
Vegan Gluten-free COFFEE cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups gluten-free measure-4-measure flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons instant coffee powder (or regular coffee, very finely ground) I used Deathwish coffee
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used flax milk)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oil (I used avocado oil)*
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tablespoon ground Flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons hot water)
For the Coffee Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup plant-based butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (see above)
- 1–2 Tablespoons plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and mix in.
- Mix the instant coffee with the 2 tablespoons of hot water into a thick paste and then mix into the non-dairy milk. Add to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla, oil, and vinegar.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of hot water and allowing it to sit for a minute to become gloopy. Then add it in.
- Whisk the batter with a hand whisk briefly just to remove lumps. Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and place into the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar and vegan butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix the instant coffee with 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk and the vanilla until no lumps remain. Add this in.
- Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. Add the remaining tablespoon of non-dairy milk if needed. If your frosting is too thin add in more powdered sugar, if it is too thick, add in a little more milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency. It should be very thick for best results.
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with a little cinnamon.