Sometimes we just need a little bit of sweetness…and something that reminds us of those days before we knew about food sensitivities. These vegan gluten-free coffee cake muffins are a great way to start the day. Just warm them up in the microwave for about 15 seconds and they make a great breakfast or snack. (And those without food sensitivities will not realize they are eating a healthy coffee cake.)
Vegan Gluten-free Coffee Cake Muffins
Ingredients for crumble topping
- ½ cup King Arthur’s measure-for-Measure Gluten-free flour
- ½ cup pure cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter, cold
Ingredients for Vanilla Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups King Arthur’s measure-for-Measure Gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk (I used flax milk)
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup plant-based butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Make the crumb topping first. Stir together ½ cup flour, ½ cup sugar, pecans (if desired), and cinnamon. Add plant-based butter and mix with fork until topping comes together. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add plant-based milk, water, melted butter, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk batter until smooth.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Top with even layer of crumb topping. Bake 21-23 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from muffin tin and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
These can keep on the counter overnight but should be refrigerated after that.