I am always playing with recipes, looking for those that are quick, taste great, and are healthy (well, mostly). Chocolate-covered stuffed dates is one of my stand-by recipes.
I also look for those recipes that use ingredients I keep on hand.
These chocolate-covered stuffed dates use ingredients I always have on hand: medjool dates, vegan chocolate chips, coconut oil, and nut or seed butter.
Before I go any further, this is a messy recipe. It is not really labor-intensive, but it is messy.
Also in full disclosure, these are addictive.
- 25 Medjool dates, pitted (I just buy a box of them and stuff and dip what I have)
- 1/4 cup almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower seed butter
- 8 ounces Enjoy Life vegan gluten-free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or cocoa butter (I prefer cocoa butter)
- Fill each date with some nut or seed butter (about 1/2 tsp). The amount varies based on the size of the dates and based on your preference. Be sure to pit the dates first! I place these on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes. Longer is better.
- Add the chocolate chips and the coconut oil/cocoa butter to a small saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring occasionally until the chocolate melts.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a bowl.
- Dip each chilled stuffed date into chocolate mixture until completely covered. Then place dates onto a lined baking sheet.
- Let the chocolate cool down at room temperature and enjoy.
Here are other gluten-free resources and recipes:
- The Basic Gluten-Free Diet
- Gluten Sensitivities, Part 2
- Autoimmune Disease and Gluten Sensitivity
- Coping with Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity
- RECIPE: Chickpea Blondies
- RECIPE: Breakfast Rice