Apple Spice Bread Recipe
First, make the flax egg:
- 2 Tablespoons Flax meal
- 1/4 cup of water
Mix the flax meal and the water in a small bowl and set aside for 10-15 minutes. The flax meal will absorb the water and make a thick gel – a Flax egg!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk the following ingredients together in a medium bowl:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose GF flour (I prefer King Arthur)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned Gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins or any dried fruit. Consider cherries, cranberries, blueberries)
In a large bowl, stir the following ingredients together:
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 apricot spread or cherry jelly or seedless blackberry jelly – as long as it is pure fruit!
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Stir the flax mixture into the liquids bowl. Stir in half of the dry ingredients, then add the remaining half, stirring gently to combine.
Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf. Avoid over baking.
Let the pan cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. Then remove the loaf and cool completely – if you can – on the wire rack. This loaf will keep in a sealed container for a few days ..assuming any remains…… We tend to eat this so quickly that I have no idea how long it will last.